Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Handful of Clay....


I’ve always been inspired by everything in Art… and there was something I’ve always wanted to do… dip my hands in clay and shape them into pots! But it’s not easy getting a place where you can learn pottery…


You see a lot of it, in movies isn’t it? When Demi Moore, creates vases and pots in Ghost its beautiful and sexy.

But let me warn you its nothing like what they show in movies. I tried my hand at making vases a while back…and it was an experience of lifetime…


The minute my hands dipped in clay I forgot everything else, concentrated on the spinning wheel, the small blob of clay, and the instruction of the tutor. It reminded me of my driving classes, where my tutor constantly gave instructions on what to do next. Of course, any fantasies I had about producing an exquisite vase in the first trial vanished out of my mind in scarcely 3 seconds as the soft clay slashed off!

The skill I’ve been told is not to keep the hand heavy, softly support the clay, shaping it!

And once you get it, it’s a wonderful experience! Shaping it to your hearts desire!

Still it was never Demi Moore! But it was much more fun!


I completely enjoyed this experience and managed to come up with 3 vases within 45 mins! Not bad I say for the first time. Since then I’ve been trying my hand at pottery as and when I get a chance…But my first 3 Vases would always be precious...


Once, these pots are made, you can create some amazing designer pots using the magic of paints and imagination!


So Lo & Behold!!!…… My first experience with Pottery… So here I share with you the 3 little vases I made!!

Also, a couple of my designer pots!

3 comments:

Anup Shinde said...

Nice work Avi....I am not such a good artist as you are... but your first experience looks so good :) ... Where did you go for these???

Anonymous said...

You are a bundle of talents!
Keep it up!

rahul said...

Avi - ur clay review is good...its surely a nice extra curricular activity...
and if we would have it in weekends, it will be a much fun to do...
and would act as a stress-buster to a week-long office's work :)